You can treat many minor ailments such as colds, coughs and indigestion by keeping a well-stocked medicine cabinet at home.
We suggest you keep the following:
- Paracetamol and Aspirin (children under 16 should not take aspirin)
- Mild laxatives
- Anti-diarrhoeal medicines
- Rehydration mixture
- Indigestion remedy (for example, antacids)
- Travel sickness tablets
- Sunscreen – SPF 15 or higher
- Sunburn treatment (calamine lotion for example)
- Tweezers and sharp scissors
- A thermometer
- A selection of plasters, non-absorbent cotton wool, elastic bandages and dressings
A healthy diet can enhance your general wellbeing and resistance to infections.
Click here for helpful NHS guidance.
- Keep the medicine chest in a secure, locked place out of reach of small children
- Watch expiry dates – do not keep or use medicines past their sell-by date
- Always read the instructions and use the suggested dose
- Take all unwanted and out-of-date medicines back to the pharmacy